Friday, October 06, 2006

Today is Mike's last day

Today is the last day for Mike Needs. His title was design editor, but before that he was public editor. He has served the Beacon Journal well in many tasks in the past. Since his first days he has has truly been the newspaper's design editor. Here are his parting observations:

For me, the future is the great unknown. I'm jumping out of the plane witho
ut really knowing whether the parachute will open, or even whether there is a parachute. But, that's okay. I had the choice of continuing with the relative comfort of what I have always done - versus the opportunity to challenge myself to try something new. I chose the latter. I have no regrets.

At age 55, I'm inclined to separate myself completely from traditional media and p.r. work is out of the question. I've long had a strong interest in online possibilities and I may pursue something in that area. I really don't know.


Meanwhile, I'm proud of my association with the Akron Beacon Journal. As an institution, it provided for me both materially and professionally. It has been good to me and I will not allow its problems of the present obscure my appreciation for all it has done for me in the past.

One thing I truly will miss, though, is the daily intellectual stimulation of interacting with quality people who live to question and challenge. Newspaper people are the best.

My personal e-mail address is mikeneeds@hotmail.com

~Mike

No comments: