Monday, October 16, 2006

Massey returns to Lexington

Delano Massey will start work Monday at the Lexington.(KY) Herald Leader.

“I'm going to be an investigative reporter.” Massey writes. “Should be a lot of fun. I actually worked in Lexington before I went to the Beacon Journal. I was a cops reporter, then started
digging into some much bigger impact stories, including an investigative piece about abuse of the police/fire disability pension system. I will continue working on articles like the pension story and whatever else comes to surface after I poke around a bit.

“I don't really know what to make of the layoffs. I've never been in a situation like that -- and hope to never face such a situation again. But I'm young in my career -- in my fifth year as a
professional. I thought about walking away from the business, but I think I have quite a few more bylines left in me. I always try to find the positive in any event. I feel as though God just had a different plan for me and Akron wasn't the place I was supposed to be in order to complete this mission. I was fortunate enough to land on my feet and I am eager to move forward in my career. The past year was rough because I wasn't really sure what was going to happen with Knight Ridder. I'm glad I was able to get some closure and peace of mind. I like being in control of my fate as best as I can. I felt like we were at the mercy of the big executives and that wasn't much fun. I want to get back to having fun.”

Click on the headline to read Massey's "goodbye" column publishes September 10

No comments: