Monday, October 02, 2006

New career move for Gevalt

Former Beacon Journal business editor Geoff Gevalt has left his job as managing editor at the Burlington (Vt.) Free Press to head the Vermont Young Writers Project. Gevalt worked for eight plus years at the Free Press--the last six as managing editor. He also has his own blog called the Editor’s Blog. Click on the headline to go there.

Here’s Geoff’s reply to an update request:

This summer I lept off the cliff when a group approached me (out of the blue) with an offer I couldn't refuse: a two-year grant with health benefits, ample cash
and lots of in-kind support to work full-time on a zany project I started at The Burlington Free Press in 2003. Called the Young Writers Project, its cornerstone is a weekly newspaper feature that aims to help kids learn how to write better. I've also taught myself the Web geek stuff Harry loves so much and built an interactive Web site at www.youngwritersproject.org.

Each week we have new content that has three elements: Something on writing by a professional writer or top teacher; exceptional student writing selected by students from submissions from students; and a piece of visual art by a student. The Web site publishes the same material plus additional content and more student writing; it also has student blogs, forums, group book writing and, soon, podcasting and digital storytelling.

It is a lot of fun to be out on my own. While I miss journalism, and cranky journalists, I don't miss what journalism has become -- cutbacks, declining circulation and a reduced appetite for meaty projects. I remain both a cynic and hopeless idealist, so I believe that this project has the potential of connecting newspapers to young people (largely through NIE and the kids getting their work published) and stimulating a few future journalists who can, perhaps, devise a different way of doing things.

I've been at it on my own for six weeks and feeding my encouragement is that four additional papers I approached about carrying the feature instantly said yes and signed on, so as of mid-November, YWP will be in five daily newspapers in Vermont (and partially in New Hampshire.) And if you've ever looked at a newspaper map of Vermont, that's the bulk of the daily circulation for the state.

My hope is that I will be able to spread out to other states and find some additional money -- and revenue -- to keep going when this grant runs out.

If not, I will take up house painting.

Cheers.

gg

No comments: