Monday, October 02, 2006

Tim Good going to Detroit

Tim Good, described by one co-worker as “one of the best people to walk in the door here in 20 years” is motoring off to the Detroit Free Press..

Here are Tim’s thoughts:

Detroit sure ain't Paris. But it's a job, and a pretty good one as far as I can tell. I'm excited about it, anyway.

I'll be working on the news design desk, doing basically what I've been doing at the
Beacon, minus the copy editing. I'll be laying out nation/world, local and business pages, and, I hope, getting into the A1 rotation.

I started at the Beacon in 2000. I've been a utility man, rimming and slotting some on the copy desk, and laying out anything and everything on the news desk. It was fun; I liked the variety and was grateful for the opportunity.

I probably have much the same take on the paper since the sale as everyone else -- about the gap between what we used to be and where we are now. That's a pretty wide gap, sadly, and it's looking as if it's going to get wider before it goes the other way, if it ever does. The worst part is seeing the young blood that the paper needs be drained away to other papers.

I don't want to forget about the Beacon, and couldn't if I wanted to -- too many good people work there, still, and I have a lot of good memories of them.

My address in Michigan:

21455 Bournemouth Drive
Harper Woods, MI 48225

I'll send an e-mail address and phone number along when I get them.

Take care,

~Tim

No comments: