Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Linda is back in BJ library

Linda Golz is back at her old desk in the Beacon Journal library, but she will be moving up to a job as a reporter or copy editor. Linda was a librarian for almost 14 years. She began working at the Beacon on January 1, 1993 and became full time in 2001. She was a correspondent for the newspaper for almost 21 years. Except for clerk Dan Roese she probably had the most service of any of those laid ott.

Here’s the report from Linda:

I am in the library this week, then I am not sure where. Either I will be a copy editor or a reporter. They haven't decided yet.


I have many years of experience as a correspondent (back when we used to be "stringers" and we wrote a lot, including feature stories and other bigger stories, I was Linda Frederick! HA) - more than 20.


I also worked for other newspapers, so, I do have some experience but they aren't sure what to do with me, I suspect.

Glad to be back, though, even though nothing feels quite right at the BJ yet. Still, it is part of my "family" and I feel like I came "home" to my people. Many are gone. It is so strange.

I hear that they are not yet done with layoffs. Production, I hear from a friend down there, is supposed to get hit soon, and I don't know where else. Sigh.

At least in the newsroom, we Guild members had the contract to sort of protect us, and make things a little less painful, as do the teamsters.

I am married to Mike Golz [He works at Summit Racing in Tallmadge], have three beautiful grown daughters who have busy, active lives (and one is planning a wedding on 7/7/07) and I don't know what else to tell you.

Life at the BJ is unsettling, but, I am glad to be back. Must really be weird for the retirees. Who could have ever imagined?!

Linda Golz

Contact Linda at Frolz@aol.com

No comments: