Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Final Word on Mickey Porter

Mickey Porter wrote his last column for Thursday, October 19, but he did not get the Final Word.

Here’s what Porter wrote:

The Final Word
Because of the newsroom staff reduction, this column is being discontinued after today. It’s been a lot of fun. Thanks for your support through the years.

~Mickey Porter

Here’s the word he got from Mitch:

Subject:: last word, last column

From: "Mitch Mckenney"
Date:Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:54:45 -0400


hi mickey,
mizell's going to use your last word in a handoff sunday, so the column running thursday ends with the AARP item.
sorry we're losing you. we'll cobble together a column to fill the space, but it won't be the same.
-- mitch

Mitch McKenney
Features Editor
Akron Beacon Journal
44 E. Exchange St.
Akron, OH 44328
330-996-3543
fax 330-996-3695
mmckenney@thebeaconjournal.com

Here’s Porter’s e-mail to the Managing Editor:

From: "Mickey Porter"
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:35:32
To:"Mizell Stewart"
Subject: mickey porter

Mizell, why couldn't I say goodbye like everyone else? I thought I
handled it gracefully. Do you disagree? Are you going to say the column
is a casualty of the staff reduction? I certainly hope so, because
anything else would be dishonest. I am not retiring. I am being asked to
leave. The readers should know that.

Here’s Mizell’s reply:

Subject: Re: mickey porter
From: Mizell Stewart
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:47:20 -0400
To:'Mickey Porter'

I'm going to say exactly that - and offer a few kind parting words of my own
- in my Sunday column.

On another topic: Are you ready to return to work in your new classification
of reporter?

Let's talk Thursday.

Thanks!
Mizell
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Not likely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered when the Canadian would get around to replacing Mickey with a patchwork column that someone, or several someones, would do without the extra pay that Mickey collected for years.

Maybe the Canadian can increase his profits by doubling or tripling the parking fees for employees? Oh, God, now I've given the Canadian another idea for stacking up money for a newer yacht.