Friday, October 13, 2006

Kathy Spitz: A final visit to JSK room

Kathy Spitz, a Beacon Journal staff member for 22 years–starting part-time in 1999–is studying for her state board in counseling. She earned a master’s degree in counseling at the University of Akron and is now working on her doctorate. Kathy is married to David Lipkin, a CPA with offices on White Pond Drive.. They have two children, Benjamin, 7, and Grace 5.

Here are Kathy’s thoughts on her resignation:

I have so many mixed feelings about resigning from the BJ. I had many good years there, many days where I went to the office and thought, "And to think, I'm getting paid for having fun!" But after the 2001 layoffs, the tone in the newsroom began to change; I'm not sure it ever re
covered fully.

By the time this current round of layoffs hit, I was ready to go. I have young children to raise, a busy CPA husband who welcomes the idea of my help in his office during tax season, and a yearning to try different activities. I earned my master's in counseling 11/2 years ago, and always want to keep my hand in writing, though I won't miss daily journalism.

I will miss so many people, though, and know that if any group of folks can make the most of limited staff and money, my former colleagues can. So much talent still left! My former colleagues deserve better than this financial bloodletting.

One final note: the weekend before my last week of work, I took my second-grader to the Beacon Journal; he "wanted to say goodbye to the newsroom."

I took my son to the John S. Knight room, and showed him the mural of the man who started it all.

``Mom, he wouldn't be happy about this,'' my son told me.

Couldn't say it any better, myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A second grader is wiser than a KRI CEO.

Like Kathy, I find it so sad that this has happened to the BJ. Like it or not, between the 2001 and 2006 layoffs/resignations, there is no way that the BJ can perform the way it did during its heyday.

And what will the second grader think of newspapers when he/she is our age?