Monday, January 27, 2014

Harry’s family 
to the BJ family: 

Thank you!


Speaking for my brother and myself, let me tell you how overwhelmed we are at the outpouring of prayers, well-wishes and tributes to our father.

The Beacon Journal family was a big part of his life.  I talked fondly of so many and considered some of his best friends to be in that building.   I know he had the utmost respect for his friends on "the desk".

I'm glad that he brought much of that home.  From our weekly treks with him to work on his "farm report" in the early days; to the Sunday morning visits to the newsroom to find Murphey sleeping in her office, walls lined by towering stacks of paper.  The newsroom was a maze of desks, typewriters and ashtrays.  Quite a sight for a young boy.  The AP and UPI machines still ticking away in the background.  I would never trade a single one of those memories.  Nor will I need to.  Obviously still fresh in my mind.

Dad obviously left a mark at the Beacon Journal.  To learn of the depths that mark penetrates is indeed humbling.  I can very much assure you all that dad's feelings and respect for all of you was mutual.

Thank you again for your well wishes and prayers.  Dad is truly home now.  Mom was waiting for him to show him the way in those final few steps.  I truly believe he is now in the presence of our Lord.  And somewhere up there is Murphey yelling - "Liggett  -- I thought I told you to go to ....."

God Bless all of you.


Tom Liggett

No comments: