Friday, January 24, 2014

Harry Liggett, last of State Desk legends, dies





BY JOHN OLESKY (BJ 1969-96)

This is the saddest BJ Alums article I will ever post. Eric Poston put this on his Facebook page:

Sad to announce that my great uncle Harry Liggett passed away this morning. He was a very talented individual who worked for the Akron Beacon Journal for many years. I had developed a very good relationship with him as I would always visit with him when I went to mow his yard. He taught me a lot and I will greatly miss him.

Harry's son, Bob Liggett posted this memory:

For me it was always the small things that mattered. As a young boy my Dad used to take me to the Beacon Journal and let me run around like a wild Indian. Seeing the printing presses was always very cool. Will never forget that. Today there is no more suffering. Today my Dad took his last breath. I firmly believe that he is at peace and he is reunited with my Mom. RIP Dad. I love you very much!


Calling hours Tuesday, Jan. 28 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Anthony Funeral Homes, 1990 South Main Street, Akron 44301. Prayers at the funeral home 10 a.m. Wednesday followed by Mass at St. Paul Catholic Church on Brown Street in Akron.

Harry had been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since his August surgeries related mostly to his cancer. That was not long after Ohio State graduate Harry was among six who graduated from Harry attended their Dennison High School reunion in July 2013.

BJ newsroom retiree Harry Liggett was the founder of the BJ Alums blog. He ran it the way he did his job at the BJ: Ferocious, determined, gruff but a damned good journalist. 

Harry and the late Pat Engelhart, State Desk editor while Harry and I were his assistant editors, taught me more about how to be a good newspaper editor than I had learned in all my previous years. And I was 38 when I came to the BJ, so I had 16 years of experience already.

Reporters who tried to fake their way through a story learned to regret it. Harry would check the facts himself, then call the reporter over. Woe be the reporter who had NOT checked the facts as well as Harry did.

Pat Englehart, who died in Florida in 1995, was the whirlwind commander; Harry came along and reorganized the debris. Frances B. Murphey, in her bib overalls, completed the legendary trio. Now Harry has joined them, and John S. Knight, in That Newspaper in the Sky.

It was the best of times. I ran to work because it was so much fun. It was a time when Fran's "Go to Hell!" and Pat's "you talk like a man with a paper asshole" were loving, endearing terms. 

Harry also was a fierce Newpaper Guild president. When he slammed the door as he stormed out of a negotiations session with management, the sound was heard all the way to Miami. Harry got his concession for his co-workers.

Harry was a long-time member of St. Paul Catholic Church on Brown Street in Akron and lived on Firestone Boulevard.
The great love of Harry's life was Helen Smolak Liggett, daughter of Czech immigrants. She passed away June 26, 2010. She was born Nov. 15, 1930 in Perry Township in Carroll County. Helen was a 1948 graduate of Immaculate Conception High School in Dennison. She is buried in Akron's Holy Cross Cemetery. I'm sure Harry will be alongside her, as he was throughout life.
Harry and Helen were married in the Immaculate Conception Church in 1956. They moved to Akron when Harry was hired by the Beacon Journal in 1965. 

Since Helen's death, Harry's Facebook page had been adorned with photos of Helen and her beloved flowers on the Liggett property and tributes to her from Harry.
Harry and Helen have two sons.
Tom Liggett is Community Pregnancy Center director of development and a graduate of Hoban High and the University of Akron. He is married to Susan and lives in Akron. Bob is scheduled to perform with the Straight On - Heart Tribute Band, the opening band Feb. 8 at the Civic Theatre for Zoso, the “ultimate Led Zeppelin Experience.” 
Bob Liggett works at KeyCorp. He also is a Hoban and University of Akron graduate, in accounting. Bob lives in Akron. Bob is scheduled to perform with the Straight On - Heart Tribute Band, the opening band Feb. 8 at the Civic Theatre for Zoso, the “ultimate Led Zeppelin Experience.” 
RIP, Harry. No one ever deserved pain-free peace more.

2 comments:

Don Roese said...

Another sad day for journalism. Harry will be sadly missed by those who admired a story well written. Harry, Pat, Ben, JSK, Terry, and a few others, what a "Heavenly Dailey" they could put out. RIP Harry. -30-



Pam McCarthy said...

I just learned the sad news reading today's BJ obits and immediately accessed the blog. John's story touched my heart, as did all the other comments written by those who loved him.

I can only add that during my short tenure on the BJ State Desk, it didn't take long for me to discover, that when Harry wasn't growling (which sometimes kind of scared me, I admit), he had the kindest eyes and the sweetest smile of any man I've ever known. I was ever so grateful for his guidance.

Rest in peace, Harry.