Friday, January 24, 2014

BJ friends' farewells to Harry Liggett

Scott Bosley

Catching up late out here in Kalamazoo (Michigan) to the sad news of Harry's death.


He was an exemplar of professionalism and a wonderful person. And always the calm in the midst of storms.

  Ott Gangl
To paraphrase Fran Murphey "Go to heaven, Harry." RIP


I was so fortunate to work with all of the State Desk legends in the '70s - Liggett, Englehart, Murphey. They were amazing people, and I gleaned all the good stuff I could from each of them.

Harry and his beloved Helen are together again. RIP




Remembering how he used to sing sometimes as he passed the copy desk.

Very sad to hear of the passing of an ABJ legend, Harry Liggett. A good man who led a good life. He taught me a lot. I'm sure his beloved Helen was waiting to see him on the other side. Sending love to his sons and the entire family.


Harry was a great newsman with a gruff exterior sometimes but once you got to know him, a big teddy bear with a heart of gold. Deepest sympathy to Harry's family. 

John Dunphy

Wow. Working with Englehart and Liggett was the best possible experience a young reporter could hope for. Rest in peace my friend. Best wishes to all the family members during this difficult time.



A true professional.

Larry Froelich

I'll miss you, old friend. We shared common ground during our youth, you in Dennison and me in Dover. We'd reminisce about the old Dover Reporter and the Dennison paper where we lost our journalistic baby teeth. I'm just so sorry I never got up your way during these last couple months to see you. Rest in peace, Harry.


Don Roese


Another sad day for journalism. Harry will be sadly missed by those who admired a story well-written. Harry, Pat, Ben, JSK, Terry, and a few others, what a "Heavenly Daily" they could put out. 

RIP Harry. -30-

Pam McCarthy

I just learned the sad news reading today's BJ obits and immediately accessed the blog. John's story touched my heart, as did all the other comments written by those who loved him. 

I can only add that during my short tenure on the BJ State Desk, it didn't take long for me to discover that, when Harry wasn't growling (which sometimes kind of scared me, I admit), he had the kindest eyes and the sweetest smile of any man I've ever known. I was ever so grateful for his guidance. 

Rest in peace, Harry.


Sad news. He was one of the great ones at the ABJ. Rest in peace.

Janis Froelich

Harry was indeed one of the best!
   

Rest in peace, Harry. My deepest sympathies to your family.

Love and prayers for the Liggetts. A great one has left us.  


RIP Harry Liggett. An old school newspaperman. A saint and tremendous editor with a dry and wicked sense of humor. He taught me much when I was a spring chicken many moons ago. Forever grateful for him.

   
Godspeed, Harry. You will be missed.


A true gentleman and a great colleague.



A gentleman and a journalist.

Kathy Hagedorn Kortvejesi 

Bob,  may your dad be at peace and hopefully see his beautiful Helen. Much love and peace to your family on this difficult day.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was good working with Harry's crew back in the early '80s when most of the news sections were laid out overnight, for an afternoon paper. It's easy to see why a lot of people say they learned so much from him, because he was a decisive, no-nonsense news pro. Also, he kept us far-flung alums informed in later years through his blog. Much appreciated.

John Dunphy said...

Wow. Working with Englehart and Ligget was the best possible experience a young reporter could hope for. Rest in peace my friend. Best wishes to all the family members during this difficult time.
- John Dunphy