Friday, September 15, 2006

Voice of the People

Sometimes letter writers to the BJ's Voice of the People come really close to saying it as well as it can be said:

Rough landing

When the purchase of the Beacon Journal was announced I think many of us who have experienced similar workplace trauma were hoping for a soft landing for its employees..

The elimination of almost 25 per cent of newsroom staff members is anything but a soft landing.

In 1977, my employer in Alliance announced that corporate headquarters would move to Minneapolis. Forty-five of 105 staffers were invited to move. I knew my wife and I would not accept that offer. In effect, I fired myself on the day of the announcement.

At 49 years of age, this was not an easy decision to make. It turned out to be the best decision I ever made –but this is another story.

So many of us know from personal experience what Beacon Journal employees are going through in terms of emotions. It’s not easy to see people you like leaving. It’s worse if you’re the one who has to tell them.

I sincerely hope this will be the end of staff reductions and that those being cut will find jobs commensurate with their training and skills..

Lloyd Close
Cuyahoga Falls

No comments: