Thursday, September 21, 2006

Here’s Dave Wilson’s story

I've been here since July 1996, with Knight Ridder since 1988. I thought I'd make it to 20 years and move on to something else. Well, Knight Ridder died of lack of usefulness this year, two years short of my exit plan.

I've been interviewing with a couple of newspapers (the Indy Star and Erie Times-News, both pretty nice papers); a Gannett recruiter; The Associated Press; some TV stations (Web sites); a couple of PR agencies; a couple of banks; and with GOJO, a local pharmaceutical/persona
l products manufacturer (Purell hand sanitizer). I'm also poking around at a couple of government-type jobs. Compliance, communication, etc. Ultimately, I expect to be out of newspapers, if not now, by the next job.

I'd really prefer to stay in the area. Well, let me clarify -- my wife and kids would really rather stay in the area. The kids are school age, 7 and 11, and really want to stay put. Me? I could go just about anywhere. But my wife is from here and really doesn't want to leave, no
matter how dismal the economy here is. And selling our house in Cuyahoga Falls at this time of year would be tough.

Anyway, the bulk of my career has been as a copy editor, 10 years of those as a slot, supervisor or department head. I most recently have been a deputy metro editor, with six reporters and roughly a dozen correspondents to herd, as well as the religion page, blotters and breaking Web news. In addition to that, I'm licensed in Ohio for life and health insurance, and I have a Series 6 license to sell securities (stock and bond mutual funds).

As distressing as this layoff has been for me and my family, in some ways I feel worse for the ones "Left Behind." This newspaper will be a hollow shadow of its former self. Yes, there was some room to trim some fat. Problem is, they chopped out a lot of meat and bone.

But as I tell folks lately, NMFP -- not my (fill in the blank) problem.

My problem is finding a paying gig with benefits before the end of October. Hints, leads, huge piles of cash are welcome!

-- Dave Wilson

No comments: