Saturday, September 30, 2006

Chiffon still looking for job

One of the more poignant stories of the Beacon Journal layoffs involved copy editor Chiffon Staebler, a widow and mother of three. Her job might have been saved because of the voluntary resignation of Debby Stock Kiefer, but the small daytime copy editing staff was discontinued and it was impossible for Chiffon to work nights. Many have asked what has happened since she left. Chiffon probably could use some help if you know of any job prospects.

Here’s her reply to an update request:

Everyone has been exceptionally kind and thoughtful since the layoffs were announced.

I am still looking for a job but haven't been successful. However, you can't be in the newspaper business this long without learning how to be a survivor.

While I love being a member of the Fourth Estate, it is truly the people I will miss. The Beacon Journal was where I had planned to end up, after winning a Pulitzer to be good enough to join the staff, of course
.
I'm one of the lucky ones who should have been able to stay. Debby Stock Kiefer volunteered to leave, but since I need to work days, I wasn't able to take advantage of her selfless gesture.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but by rights, I should have lost my job during the last round of cuts. Thanks to Jim Kavanagh, my job was saved at a time when my family and I would literally not been able to survive without it. I can't complain about being among
those let go this time.

Debby and Jim are just a few of the roughly 200 reasons why it was hard to leave. Journalists like them are why I know David Black made a good investment when he bought the ABJ and why I know the staff will work miracles in spite of this latest amputation.

~Chiffon

No comments: