Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Gloria Irwin is leaving Friday

Among the top staffers leaving the Beacon Journal is Gloria Irwin. Here's an e-mail from her to answer a request for info:

My last day at the Beacon Journal is Friday. I'm taking a week off before starting at Timken on Oct. 1.

I'm not sure what my title there will be. The job was posted as program leader for trade media relations. It's a new po
sition within Timken's communications department. I'll be working closely with Jeff Dafler, who is the company's official spokesperson. He'll deal with the mainstream media and I'll deal with the trade journals and technical writers. Jeff will write speeches for chairman Tim Timken and I'll write for CEO Jim Griffith.

I will be traveling to Timken plants in the United States for new product launches,
and I'll also be working with the overseas media, primarily in India, China and Europe. I'm getting my passport ready.

Despite the widespread media coverage in 2004 of Timken's intention to close its Canton bearing complex, the company is doing well. Earnings and sales are both up, and Timken has pretty well absorbed its purchase of Torrington Co. in Connecticut. (See, I already sound like a P.R. person!)

I suspect my e-mail there will be gloria.irwin@timken.com, based on how the other addresses are configured. In the meantime, my home e-mail is gloria44313@yahoo.com

Home phone number is 330-699-1584.

Although I will miss the Beacon Journal, given the entirety of the circumstances here, it was a no-brainer to leave.

Gloria

Gloria wrote most of the pieces about the breakup of Knight Ridder and sale to the Beacon Journal.

No comments: