Sunday, January 23, 2005

....of Snowhawks and Snowchicken...



When I first heard the expression 'snowbirds' and having just bought an RV in 1988 to chase the good snow for skiing all around the country I thought it referred to me and Ann, my wife. Then folks kept asking me when I would go to Florida since I had an RV and was a 'snowbird'.

Then I realized what a snowbird was and evr since then we refer to ourselves as Snowhawks and the Florida bound folks who want to escape the snow as Snowchicken. We ski around here, Ann and I are both retired ski instructors and ski free for life at Boston Mills and Brandywine and many ski resorts out West and in Europe.

Good skiing snow is to be had from minus ten degrees up to sixty degrees in the 11,000 to 12,000 foot elevations. We spend three weeks a Winter in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah or around Lake Tahoe skiing, depending where the best snow is. End of February we will go to Panorama Ski Resort in British Columbia, two hours from Calgary.

Ann is 71 and I am 72 so we feel we better ski a lot while we are still young. About three days a week in Boston Mills, we will also go to Holiday Valley in New York and next Sunday to Seven Springs in Pennsylvania.

After the two weeks of lousy warm weather we had after the New Year it looks like we have some glorious snow again.

Think snow!!!

....Ott

No comments: