Sunday, January 02, 2005

Cathy Strong felt tsunami quake


I’m enjoying the blog. My thanks to all who got it going.

I was in Australia with my two daughters for Christmas and actually felt the earthquake that sparked the tsunami. Being from New Zealand. we thought the earthquake was too minor to even mention to each other!. One of our parishioners had to fly over to India hospital where his son is recouperating from several smashed bones and has had to have a foot amputated. And I just got a message from a snowboarding mate who was at the worst spot in India, but happened to be away from the beach that particular day. All sobering and makes you thank God for the safety of your family and friends ... and especially those who are lucky enough to live into a nice retirement stage. My daughter in Florida who lost her house to the hurricane is now saying she is thanking God that that is all she lost in their natural disaster this year.

All is well with me. My New Year’s resolution is to finish the novel I have been half writing all year. It is a trashy romantic-psycho novel. I won't use my real name so don't look for it. Once I get that off my chest then I can write the more worthy novels that are rumbling around in my head. What sort of resolution did you make?.

Oh yes, my other resolution is to get a new notebook computer that has ALL the keys that work, even the "capital" stroke.

Fond regards,

Cathy Strong

3 comments:

Ott Gangl said...

My fondest memory of Kathy is when she and her husband went sailing with us on my THISTLE sailboat, a very swift but also very tender boat which needed to be handled precisely.
We were on Atwood Lake and it was quite breezy, the water was cold and then the boat went over and all four of us were in the water. Righting the boat is not difficult but shoveling the water out and getting in is.

A pantoon boat with nice folks happened by and picked up Kathy and my wife Ann, wrapped them in blankets and gave them somehing strong to drink. They hovered around for a while, laughing at me and Percy struggling with sails and boat and then took off making it into the harbor long before us. They must have been 'warming up' quite a bit 'cause they giggled all the way home.

I see she has now gone over to the 'dark side' (snowboarding) but anything that gets you out to play in the white stuff can't be all bad.

....Ott

Ott Gangl said...

Cathy, I should lay of the 'strong stuff' myself, my apologies for misspelling your name....

....Ott

Anonymous said...

I have many fond memories of Cathy, including a three-hour phone conversation a couple of years back when she was in the States for some winter skiing (during her summer). Thanks to Harry's e-mail list, we re-connected and have been in touch ever since. Her girls are gorgeous -- as she still is herself! But she sure SOUNDS different than the girl I argued with over the correct pronunciation of Tallmadge, which she insisted on calling Tall Madge.

I still have the oak desk I bought from her when she moved to NZ. The aloe plant I also bought lived almost 10 years before benign neglect finally caused it to bite the dust!
Pam McCarthy