Monday, April 16, 2007

See the Toledo Blade doctored photos

Photographer Allan Detrich, who resigned from The Toledo Blade earlier this month after admitting he had altered a photo that appeared in the paper, had submitted at least 79 photos for publication since the beginning of the year that were digitally altered, with 58 of those either appearing in the paper or on the Blade Web site.

In a “report to readers” Sunday, Blade Editor Ron Royhab revealed the findings of a review that began after it was discovered that a Detrich photo published March 31 had been altered. Detrich resigned April 7 after admitting the change to a photo of the Bluffton University baseball team, but claimed it had been mistakenly submitted for publication.

Royhab’s report Sunday said that the paper had reviewed all of Detrich’s photos since the beginning of 2007, some 947 images. The review found that Detrich had submitted 79 such altered images, with 27 of those appearing in the paper and online. Additionally, 31 doctored photos appeared only on the Blade Web site.

“The changes Mr. Detrich made included erasing people, tree limbs, utility poles, electrical wires, electrical outlets, and other background elements from photographs. In other cases, he added elements such as tree branches and shrubbery,” Royhab explained. “Mr. Detrich also submitted two sports photographs in which items were inserted. In one he added a hockey puck and in the other he added a basketball, each hanging in mid-air. Neither was published.”

The Blade also posted three examples on its Web site Sunday of how Detrich altered photos, including the original version of the Bluffton image.

See the Toledo Blade
Editor Ron Royhab's report and three examples of how Detrich altered photos.

See the Editor & Publisher report by Joe Strupp.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the Detrich that once worked at the BJ?

Anonymous said...

No, the BJ photog was Matt Detrich, who left for a paper in Indianapolis. I don't know if Matt is related to Alan.

Ott Gangl said...

Matt and Allan Detrich are brothers, both are award winning photographers. It's a shame that ethic slips would ruin such an illustrious career, but I hope this serves as a warning not to fool around with news, especially when there are other photographers around to keep you honest.

...Ott

Anonymous said...

Ott .... What do you mean "ethic slips"? It was out and out fraud.

Don Roese

Ott Gangl said...

Well, Don, I remember well the BJ committing 'fraud' by pasting footballs into pictures where the ball was not showing, putting people together in one picture who were shot not only at different locations but at different times, and routinely taking Bill Ayres out of a pictures he would horn into.

Compared to that, taking out power wires of a pair of legs behind a billboard which do not impact the meaning or significant content of the picture and are done for cosmetic reasons or for who knows what stupid reasons to me show that the photographer either has not grown out of the old 'fraud' days when it was routinely done or he hoped to win contest.

If he didn't want the legs, why did he not just crop the picture on the right where they were showing.

They should take Photoshop off all laptops that photographers carry in the field.

....Ott

Anonymous said...

Hey Ott,

I'm not saying we didn't commit a bit, hell, a whole lot, of fraud in photos way back when. I just never thought of it as an "ethic slip". To me it was always, conning and cheating the public but that's what we did then. There wasn't any ethics code. But still, no excuses. Today everybody knows what the right thing to do is, ethically, with news photos.

Besides, it was a whole lot harder back then, we needed a paste pot and sissors, now it is just to damn easy. I remember making a statement when I retired that I would never again truly believe what I saw in a news photo. I still think that way. It's kinda fun to look at the photos in the paper and try to guess what manipulation might have been done.

Hopefully taken in good humor, Don Roese

Harry Liggett said...

Wow. This post is about to break the record on number of comments. Let's face it, photographers did not have the Adobe Photoshop type tools back then. I recall the art dept. putting in a lawn for one of your photos of a not quite finished new home site. I took a recent photo of a group of my old classmates. I removed a vase of flowers from in front of one gal and fixed her blouse, I cut out two bystanders in the background and fixed my half-shut eyes. Of course, that was for personal use. In defense of photographers, I recall one time I wanted to do some simple fix on a photo and BJ photogs raised holy hell. You have to live or die with your own ethics.

Ott Gangl said...

For one, even in the olden days, it was not the photographers who did the manipulating, rather it was the art department who had to do it on the order of editors. And we didn't like it.
You work your fanny off, laying down on the ground to get an angle that combines a foreground and background element and conveys and imparts meaning and information and the editors want to save a column and thoughtlessly (or not)crop an element out.

Being involved with the Ohio Ballet, shooting pictures for them on my own time and with my materials I would give the BJ first and exclusive choice of pictures they would run with the review in exchange of letting me develop and print in the darkroom though I did most at home in my own darkroom.

A beautiful shot of a dancer on toe doing fancy footwork was cropped at the knee and ran showing her waving her hands. I was so fuming on the drive to work that I lost my cool and screamed at the editor about the stupidity of cropping off a dancers working tools, her feet, and told her to crop her head if she needs to save space, but never, never the feet.

Don and I and the rest of the photo staff could write a book about what we had to do, like an editor coming in with a nice wire feature picture and ordering us to copy it locally, pure plagiarism.

....Ott

Ott Gangl said...

Harry, how do I edit a comment? Sincewe were lying on the ground, not laying, I tried to correct but don't know how.

...Ott

Anonymous said...

So, is it okay with you guys if I share this blog with my high school journalism students when we study photography/Photoshop, etc.???? This might be the best-ever response to an item on this blog!!!