Sunday, April 15, 2007

Guten Morgen from Gloria in Germany

I have been reading all the updates on the retiree blog, so I thought I would join in.

I am in Hannover, Germany, for a large industrial fair. This is my first trip abroad for Timken. We have five press interviews scheduled during the fair, and then I'm going on to Frankfurt with our public relations agency there.

I arrived here on Friday morning, relatively on time despite several delays along the way. My luggage, however, remained in Amsterdam. Fortunately, the airline knew where it was and got it to my hotel that evening. Dealing with jet lag was much more challenging. My aging body needs its sleep and does not appreciate monkeying with its internal clock.

This is my first time in Europe. Don't know why I brought only one electrical adapter with me. I packed an extra battery for my laptop, but have to choose between recharging my cell phone and drying my hair. Online access is spotty, especially with 80 Timken people in the same hotel trying to connect to the server in Canton. Such is life.

I had breakfast this morning with a communications team member from China and another from Poland. My "hosts" are three team members from Colmar, France. They all, of course, speak English -- and well, I might add. There are many other Timken Europeans here and even a few associates from Japan and New Zealand.

Timken's international atmosphere can be challenging, but I find it fascinating. There are some headaches involved in this job -- as with any -- and I long for an MBA, an engineering degree and fluency in a foreign language. When I read the postings about the
Beacon Journal, I do not regret leaving.

I have about two hours of free time so I think I'll go play tourist for a bit. It is unseasonably warm here. I propped the window open with my briefcase because I have not learned how to operate the air conditioning. I hear it's still chilly back there in Northeast Ohio. I return on April 21, and I'm hoping to see full spring when I land.

Gloria Irwin
The Timken Company
Manager, Trade Media Relations
1835 Dueber Ave. SW
Mail code: GNW-37
Canton, Ohio 44706
ph. 330-471-7948
f. 330-471-4118

No comments: