Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Abbott pushing Rx fight

Retired printer Bob Abbott is spearheading an effort to fight the loss of benefits by BJ retirees. Here is his latest report:

This is In regards to the way the BJ is trying (and succeeding) to not honor their separation agreement with so many of us. While some of you might not be directly affected yet by this...when you reach the age of 65 I guarantee you will be at that time.

While the BJ waffling on the Rx card is worrisome, .I'm more concerned by their statement that since "your retiree medical benefits were not vested for life and can be changed." I think their intent is obvious. They will drop all the retirement benefits at their pleasure. With the exception of the pension which is protected (to a point) by Federal laws. So if something doesn't get done you can kiss the Rx cards goodbye.

Counsel has a two-step trial balloon he wants to pursue. One can be accomplished at a reasonable cost.–-probably $300-$500. If all goes well I'm hoping we can get more people on board to really take this to the courts, because it will get more expensive at that time.

Right now...I'm hoping to get each of you to give $50 to a "slush fund" to get started. That's one tank of gasoline to see if we can proceed. I don't want any money right now...but if you can, contact me if you will be willing to help out.

rabbott@mindspring.com Tel: 330 830-4984

For this step I plan to open a separate checking account and will keep everyone provided with paper work to know how the account and monies are being used. If there is any left over it will be split up and sent back to you. If the case moves past the two steps, .it will be necessary to have someone to handle the cash to make sure everything is above board and transparent.

Right now my name is the only name on the action so you are not affected yet by this do not need to worry it will affect your present situation. The theory here is that if we breach the dam...the water will flow and at that point everybody will benefit.

But if we do nothing...nothing gets done. My personal thought is...that even if I go down at least I'll get a couple pokes at them on the way down. We all know that what they are doing is not right. They obviously don't care and unfortunately being right is sometimes not good enough. We are going to have to fight to get what we signed up for. Unfortunate but true.

Think about this, and if you can get in touch with me by Friday (4/20/07) if you are with me. Then I will get in touch with you in a week or so to get things really rolling.

bob abbott

Added note on your income tax:

Do you know that the cost of your BJ health insurance (non-reimbursed) can be deducted on your
Ohio return...I think up to a $200 credit on schedule B. If you did not claim this, you can always file an amended return to perhaps get some money back from your Ohio taxes. This would be a retirement income credit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ohio $250 tax credit is for retirement income credit ($200 maximum) and senior citizen credit ($50). Because the BJ pays our Aetna medical premium, we cannot deduct the part we pay, if any, on a separate line but must include it along with other excess medical expenses as a deduction, NOT a credit, on our Ohio income tax form. It includes our out-of-pocket expenses. Only the part that's over the 7.5% of your Ajusted Gross Income can be deducted. I use TaxACT, an online tax service where you just answer questions, and it automatically calculates the amount. In my case, the deduction was $1,566. It should be more for the 1040 I file for 2007 because we'll be paying four-figures more in prescription costs alone through Aetna, compared to United Health Care.

In any case, it's a hefty amount so all BJ retirees should be sure to include it on their Ohio tax forms. In my case, it reduced my Ohio taxes by $230, so it's worth doing.