Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Irish sports guy switches from print to web

OK, so you have been waiting since Sunday’s teaser to hear about the big move.

BJ sports columnist Patrick McManamon is joining the ranks of those switching from print to the web.

He is joining AOL Fanhouse (www.fanhouse.com) Today is his last day at the Beacon Journal.

“We didn’t want him to go,” said one of his bosses a few notches above the sports editor.  And he
said further that in these tough economic times, the BJ editors are not permitted to find a replacement.  Marla Ridenour thus will be called upon to take up much of the column writing chores Some news side reporters (several are interested, the editor said) will be called in to lend a hand.  Lending a hand does not mean they will be switching from news to sports.  They will just be doing some sports along with their news.

Some BJ old timers also would like to see more from Sheldon Ocher – like the beautiful piece he did last week on Austin Carr.

We do not know why TV stations and columnists always need a couple of teasers before getting to the news which by then is not much extra. 

Patrick had a  teaser (swan song, goodbye or whatever) as a final note in “Beside  the Point”.and this from his blog:
________________

Weekend entertainment … and a personal note


By Pat McManamon on January 31, 2010

To my loyal and dedicated readers:

This blog will be shutting its doors soon. I am moving on to a new challenge.

The decision was not an easy one because the Akron Beacon Journal has been a good place to work these past 11 years. The daily newspaper means a lot to me, as does being part of a local community. The Beacon Journal was gracious in providing both. I am fortunate and blessed, and grateful to the Beacon for the many opportunities.

As for you loyal readers … in a weird way it feels like we are all friends. Along the way we've shared opinions, traded barbs, endured insults, enjoyed music and laughed a little. You know about my daughters, I about your feelings toward the Browns, Cavs and Indians. It's been a lot more fun than I ever envisioned a blog (note the correct term) could be.

I hope to cross paths with many of you in the future. If you'd like to keep in touch, drop a line at mcmanamon.pat@gmail.com.

Hopefully this is not goodbye, but see you soon. I wish you all the best.

[Added to the blog was an Irish (of course) melody.]
________________________


Our BJ Alums blog viewers, BJ fans, etcetera should not take umbrage at the BJ. It has always been the training ground for those who have gone on to bigger and better things.  That’s why this blog has so many viewers. An example from recent years is Jim Kavanagh, BJ copy desk chief, who switched from print to web and is doing marvelous at CNN.

End Note: All of the above is commentary.

We have observed a request from McManamon to embargo this post until his last day even though he emailed the following to many Monday:


Though I'm leaving the Beacon Journal, I'm not going anywhere. (That  may be good or bad news, depending on your point of view.) And … the blog has a good chance of living in a different home.

I took a job with AOL Fanhouse (www.fanhouse.com). And I'll be doing many of the same things I've been writing about -- Cavs, Browns, Indians -- for a more national audience. In short, I'm still going to be writing about the local/regional stuff, just for an online internet site instead of a newspaper.

It wasn't easy to leave. I love the local paper and the community, but the future seems to be online, and I have two 13-year-olds. This just makes sense when I consider taking care of them.

The paper would not allow me to post where I'll be working, so I'm going to have to hope people find their way. It's been a very special 11 years, but I feel very good about the future.

I'd love to continue the blog … and to keep the same rapport with readers. Chances of keeping the blog look good, so I hope you join me at Fanhouse. I should be starting in mid-February, though there's a good chance I'll be covering the Magic-Cavs game Feb. 11 for Fanhouse as well.

I hope all of you (yes, all of you) join me in a new home.

Thanks so much for your kind comments. They mean a lot. Just don't forget the insults if and when the blog re-starts.

All the best,

2 comments:

Charlene Nevada said...

Too bad his position will not be replaced. I'm not a sports reader, but many, many others are. I was at a seminar with the PD editor and publisher last week. They talked about how Browns coverage drives their readership, especially on the Web.

LED Signs said...

The paper would not allow me to post where I'll be working, so I'm going to have to hope people find their way.