Monday, December 17, 2012

Social Security pay raise, such as it is


""""""""""""""""
COMMENTARY
""""""""""""""""
  By John Olesky (BJ 1969-96)

I got my notice for my new monthly Social Security check total for 2013.

It will be $24 a month more than my 2012 monthly Social Security checks after an increased deduction for Medicare insurance premiums to $104.90.

I'm lining up all the possible things that I might want to spend the extra $24 a month on. Hey, that's $288 more for the entire year! More than three tanksful of gas for the year!

Sarcasm noted, I hope.

But that beats my Beacon Journal pension, which has shown an increase of $0 from Retirement Day in 1996 to today. And, of course, the cost of living hasn't risen at all in those 17 years.


Sarcasm noted, I hope.

It's my fault. I should have been a CEO and made millions by laying off thousands of people.

No comments: