Thursday, September 01, 2011

Dayton Daily News photo director quits rather than make cuts

Larry Price, director of photography at the Dayton Daily News, stepped down from his position rather than make drastic staff cuts ordered by management and reported in a nstory written by Dayton Businss Joural reporter Ginger Chris.
Christ also quotes Price on her blog:
“I’ve watched this happen in newspapers year after year now. I’ve had many, many friends that have been affected, many stellar journalists,” Price said. “These people are my group. They’re my friends. They’re my colleagues. I’ve asked so much of them in the four years I’ve been here. Every time, they’ve stepped up to the plate and delivered. It wasn’t a decision I could make in good conscience.”

Dayton blogger David Esrati, who broke the story, writes on his blog:
There are ways to win back readers, but cutting content creators (especially the uniquely local aspect of photography) is like a fine woodworker selling off his miter box and chisels.

No word yet of what staff cuts did happen or plans to cut positions at the other Cox Media Group papers in the region.


[Source Ohio Newspaper Photographers blog]

No comments: