Monday, September 19, 2011

Connie Schultz resigns from PD

Plain Dealer columnist Connie Schultz resigned today. Schultz worked for nearly 18 years at the newspaper.

Schultz is the wife of U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown who is up for reelection next year.

Here is the note Schultz sent to her colleagues explaining her resignation.

Dear friends and colleagues,

Nearly 18 years ago, The Plain Dealer took a chance on me. I was a 36-year-old newly single mother who had spent 15 years writing freelance stories from my kitchen table. My password for Newsmaker remains what it was for my PD computer on December 15, 1993, my first day on the job: Wow.

What a ride.

In recent weeks, it has become painfully clear that my independence, professionally and personally, is possible only if I'm no longer writing for the newspaper that covers my husband's senate race on a daily basis. It's time for me to move on.

Editor Debra Adams Simmons has been incredibly supportive, and an inspiration to me. I am especially grateful for her unconditional commitment to the recent Agent Orange project, "Unfinished Business." Ellen Stein Burbach, my direct editor, has been my champion for more than a decade. Their faith in me was emboldening. Their guidance made me better. They will no longer be my editors, but they remain cherished friends.

I leave The Plain Dealer with gratitude, and plenty to do. I'm working on my next book, and will continue to write essays for Parade magazine. I'm still a columnist with Creators Syndicate, and I'll continue to focus on issues of social and economic justice. I'm weighing other options, and look forward to what comes next.

To my hardworking colleagues: Thank you. I continue to cheer you on.

To those who became my steadfast friends: Thank you doesn't begin to coverit. I'm loyal as a pug.

To everyone at The Plain Dealer: I leave with a sad but hopeful heart. I was so lucky to be your colleague.

Connie

No comments: