Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jim Toms tribute to Don Bandy


Hi John,

Hope I'm not too late to contribute a small item to the many wonderful tributes that are pouring in to Don.

We first met when I was a rookie reporter at the Cincinnati Enquirer in 1968. Don was working at the Cincinnati AP bureau at the time and it turned out that we lived in the same apartment building in Mt. Adams. I think Don and I arrived at the Beacon Journal at about the same time in the spring of 1969. Over the years our summer vacations sometimes overlapped at a little motel in Nags Head, NC, the Outer Banks Motor Lodge. Don and Judy loved the beach. Like many others, Don bailed me out on deadline many days as I attempted to decipher Mayor John Ballard quotes I had collected from City Hall. Don was a true professional and a great friend to all.

Jim Toms

John, hope you are well. I'm planning to attend the service Saturday in Washington C.H. Maybe I'll see you there. Thanks for all you and Harry do to keep the blog rolling.

Jim

No comments: