Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Visit BJ artists AND Connie Bloom at same time


By John Olesky (BJ 1969-96)

If you go to Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market Street in Akron, April 29-June 5 to see the works of past and current Akron Beacon Journal artists Chuck Ayers, John Backderf, Art Krummel, Dennis Balogh, Kathy Hagedorn and Brian Shellito, you also can go to the third floor and see former BJ staffer Connie Bloom's quilt artwork.

Connie has become quite a quilt art guru in Akron and Ohio. She is publisher/editor of QSDS (Quilt Surface Design Symposium), a quarterly online magazine about fabric art. Her Connie's Quilting Arts Studio and Gallery is next to the Akron Art Museum.

Responding to my inquiry, Connie -- my former co-worker in the BJ Features Department -- sent this email:



John,

My studio is upstairs on the 3rd floor of Summit Artspace and I will be open, as always, during the opening of Fresh Air and all other exhibitions. I have become the resident quilt artist of SA and, indeed, downtown Akron, and moved in in September.

I am one of five independent artists juried into private studios by the Akron Area Arts Alliance.

There are also two arts organizations housed on the 3rd floor so there is plenty for visitors to see and tons of quality shopping.

I have lots of people coming through so I won't be doing any (maybe one) festivals this summer since quilts are selling where I am. I am very happy.

Warmly,
Connie Bloom

Come pet the art quilts in my new digs at Summit Art Space, 140 E. Market St. in downtown Akron. (330-472-0161).

Join in the monthly Artwalk, which is 5-10 p.m. the first Saturday of each month -- year-round. Doors also are open by appointment and on the first Sunday of the month from noon-4 p.m.

Click on the headline to read the BJ Alums article on the exhibition, including meeting the BJ artists in person at the 5-7 p.m. Friday, April 29 opening reception.

No comments: