Wednesday, July 15, 2015


BJ columnist Bob Dyer and PD/former BJ entertainment critic Mark Dawidziak will be inducted into the Press Club of Cleveland’s Journalism Hall of Fame Nov. 13 at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Cleveland.

Cleveland Indians broadcaster Tom Hamilton, WTAM-AM multimedia journalist Ken Robinson and Reader’s Digest editor in Liz Ludlow  Vaccariello also will be inducted.

The Press Club also said it will present its annual Chuck Heaton Award to WKYC-TV meteorologist Betsy Kling. Heaton is the late Plain Dealer reporter and Press Club Hall of Famer member.

Last year’s Hall of Fame inductees were Ed Byers, on WGAR as Ed Richards for nearly three decades; Call & Post associate publisher and editor Constance Harper; WOIO-TV news reporter Paul Orlousky; 36-year (WJW & WEWS) news anchor Wilma Smith; and PD editorial board’s Tom Suddes. WJW anchor Wayne Dawson got the Heaton Award.

It’s a double-barreled pleasure for me since I was editor of both Dawidziak and Dyer in my Features Department days. I’d like to say I thought both of them everything I know, but who would believe THAT?

In 2012 former BJ writing coach Stuart Warner was inducted into the Hall of Fame. In 2009 former BJ and later PD columnist Regina Brett was inducted into the Hall.

Dawidziak has been a TV and movie critic for 35 years, coming to the BJ from Tennessee and to the PD from the BJ. His Mark Twain shows and authoring tomes about ol’ Sammy are nationally known.

Dyer wins state and national awards more often than I change my underwear, and I don’t stink all that badly.

Kudos to both of my “proteges”!!!

No comments: