Saturday, December 20, 2014


Former BJ reporter/editor Webb Shaw’s Christmas present: Retirement.

Facebooked wife Katie Gaab-Shaw:
“Pop the cork! It’s “retirement day” for my husband Webb Shaw after 22 years with JJ Keller. From the early days at the Beacon Journal in Akron, to these last few as VP of editorial resources at Keller, no one knows better than your family how hard you worked these past 40 years. Pride doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel, and look forward to our next chapter.”
Take it from me, Katie: I’ve been at it 18 years, and it’s marvelous. I could never travel to 52 countries and 43 states and take 11 cruises if I still were at the BJ, where I ran to work every day because John Knight was such a fabulous owner and I had spectacular colleagues.
Webb’s father, the late Bob Shaw, was an all-American end on Ohio State’s 1942 national championship team coached by the legendary Paul Brown, who eventually guided the Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals in the NFL.
 Later Bob Shaw was a tight end with the 1949 Los Angeles Rams and had a record five touchdown receptions in a game and was receivers coach with the Baltimore Colts in 1958 when they beat the New York Giants to win the NFL championship in what has been called "The Greatest Game Ever Played." Even a broken neck didn’t keep Bob Shaw from resuming his NFL career.
Richwood, Ohio native and Fremont Ross High football star Bob Shaw – who also played basketball and competed in track at Ohio State -- was in “Brian’s Song,” the great, six-pack (as in Kleenex) movie about the friendship between Pro Football Hall of Famer Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo, who died from cancer in 1970.
Webb’s mom was Mary, who caught Bob’s eye when she was selling candy as an usherette at the Ohio Theater while the Buckeye players were downtown to watch a movie.

Bob Shaw coached briefly at Cuyahoga Falls High School. w years as VP of editorial resources at Keller, no one knows better than your family how hard you worked these past 40 years. Pride doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel, and I look forward to our next chapter…..w years as VP of editorial resources at Keller, no one knows better than your family how hard you worked these past 40 years. Pride doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel, and I look forward to our next chapter…..

No comments: