Saturday, June 07, 2014




The day Gevalt saw dad in D-Day photo in the Beacon Journal

Geoffrey Gevalt, former BJ business editor, wrote this lead in the June 6, 2014 Huffington Post:

“This picture appeared in the newspaper where I worked on June 5, 1994, a day shy of the 50th anniversary of D-Day. I was stunned. The man on the far right was my father, and I recognized him immediately. I fell into a chair in a heap

"He'd died seven years previously, and I missed him. And on that moment, I missed that he'd never told me the story of that day.

“He was a Navy doctor, was wounded in the early hours of the invasion, and was 29 in this picture.

“He landed on Omaha Beach 14 minutes after the first wave. Eisenhower had sent in the docs as a morale booster on the theory that if they were sending in the docs, it couldn't be that bad.”

Geoffrey was at the BJ 1992-98. In 2006 he left his job as managing editor at the Burlington (Vt.) Free Press to head the Vermont Young Writers Project. Gevalt worked for eight plus years at the Detroit Free Press--the last six as managing editor.

To go to Geoffrey’s blog site, click on

To read Geoffrey’s entire story in the Huffington post, click on

No comments: