Monday, June 30, 2014



Ray Habyan, BJ maintenance retiree, emailed about the Supreme Court ruling that damages unionizing efforts, but to me it was more of a reflection on what a great and wise owner John S. Knight was. Newspapers may never know such a combination again.

Ray’s email:

The ruling of the Supreme Court is very interesting indeed.  Not only do employees not have to pay dues while belonging to a union (closely held companies), but those employees also reap the benefits of the bargaining unit they belong to in name only.  
 
I remember when I first started working at the Beacon Journal in Feb. of 74'.  I stepped into the elevator in the lobby and John S. Knight and I rode up to the 3rd floor together.  He knew I was a new employee, and asked me if I had any questions to ask him.  Since I had never belonged to a union until then, Guild Local, I asked him why I had to belong to a union.  

He hesitated for a moment, and then gave me a concise and very short answer.  "Because I would screw you the first chance I had."  Quite honest, and as we can see, quite true.  

Especially today.

Ray Habyan (hay-bee-un)
Guild member and Stewart 1974 - 1996 

It was John Knight, and not the ITU bargaining members, who came up with the idea of giving lifetime jobs to printers in exchange for unfettered access to technology improvements. 

I’ve talked to printers who were at the table that day. They were so astounded, and not wanting to appear too eager, so they huddled out of sight and hearing of management.

Their reaction: Geez, let’s not screw this up. Don’t salivate too much. Make sure they don’t take it back in other areas. Then “reluctantly” agree to it.

It was that very agreement that caused U.S. Federal District Court Judge David Dowd, sitting in Akron, to settle the printers/Guild retirees lawsuit in favor of the 50 retirees. As Judge David Dowd said, “You promised in writing. You can’t go back on that.”

That was JSK’s promise he ruled on.

And it cost the BJ more than $1 million to keep JSK’s word.

Tony Ridder was such a contrast. Looking back, I doubt Jack would have gotten into bed with Tony today. The stench would have been too unbearable.

As for Ray, after he left the BJ he worked for 17 years computer networking for Pink Jeep Tours in Arizona and today in the Akron area does free pencil drawings for the families of Gold Star military – those killed in action.

He says he’s doing fine with his 2012-installed Pacemaker, the thing that keeps your heart ticking properly. Ray and I both have the same problem: Heart rate so low that it causes you to get dizzy or pass out. The Pacemaker won’t let either one of us go below about 60 beats per minute. Barely know it’s implanted, too.

In my case, it lets me go like 90 (mph, that is) at 81 (years of age, that is).

God bless JSK. I never had a better owner in my 43 years on newspapers.


No comments: