Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Jim Carney reflects on his 6-week-old retirement

Retired Beacon Journal reporter Jim Carney, one of the class people in this world, takes a look at his new life, which is six weeks old:
Jim Carney
Report from the land of the retired. It has been quite an adjustment. Kind of like landing on a planet far away. It made no sense at first. Someone told me you really need deprogrammed after you stop working. That is true. I miss my pals and the excitement of daily newspapering. The paper looks good.
“Am glad I did what I did. I've been cleaning the basement, the garage, working on photo projects, getting Michael and Laura married, babysitting a friend's grandchild. Been reading and writing. Taking naps. Babying Alfred. Making KT's lunch. Tonight, put together mac and cheese and chilli dog dinner. And praying for a pennant. Reading the obits. A classmate died this week. It will be six weeks tomorrow. Blessings to all.”
Speaking as someone who has been retired 18 years after running to work at the BJ for 26 of my 43 years on newspapers because I loved it, Jim, I think you’re going to ADORE retirement, but maybe not till Katie joins you in this hallowed land.
I’ve been to 52 countries and 43 states, and that never would have happened if I had stayed at the BJ. And winning my (and 49 other retirees’) lawsuit against the BJ over its health care reneging helps tremendously. $2 prescriptions for ANY 30-day medications, brand name or not ($4 for 90 days if I do it by mail) and restoration close to my retirement-day 80% Medicare/20% BJ medical coverage for everything else helps, too.
The retirees’ lawyers in Cleveland got a $750,000 (give or take a few bucks) check from the BJ for handling our case. I got a substantial reimbursement for out-of-pocket medical expenses that the judge said the BJ was not entitled to take away. So did the 49 others.
Every day I thank the late Dave White, Composing honcho, for starting that lawsuit. The Canadian picked on the wrong dude who ran into the right dude (a lawyer) on the Siesta Key beach in Florida.
Enjoy your retirement, Jim. Find something you love to do, but didn’t have the time or money while you were working. Hell, with your bent in life, volunteer in a soup kitchen or, like retired photographer Don Roese, find people living under bridges and help them with better shelter. You were made for helping others.
Don't be in a hurry to find it. Let it find you.  
Maybe the Black Keys kid can help, too. He can pay for carrying his drum sticks.
Get back to me in May 2015 and we'll have lunch and see what you worked out. Plenty of good restaurants near me in Chapel Hill.

No comments: