Monday, March 10, 2014

1963 JSK response to union

reaction to annual bonus

BJ newsroom retiree Tom Moore emailed me a copy of Knight Newspapers boss John S. Knight's reaction to the union complaining about the annual Christmas bonus not including

a raise.


John:

Here's a copy of a letter that JSK sent to the staff after the unions raised a flap because the annual Christmas bonus didn't include a raise.

And that sunk the bonus. It was added to the regular pay so you no longer could look forward to that extra money.


Tom

It sounds to me like JSK thought that beggars CAN be choosy. I always thought that Mr. Knight was exceedingly fair to his employees. I remember during one Guild negotiations that got really difficult, JSK told management: If the workers aren't happy, it's management's fault.

Anyway, here's the 1963 memo from JSK, the best newspaper owner that I worked for in my 43 years in the profession.



No comments: