Saturday, August 18, 2007

Keep posting those comments

There's nothing like a controversy to spark readership.

This blog averages 80 to 90 visitors a day, but the traffic report for the week posted today shows an average of 120 visitors a day. The reports on blog vsitors are posted in the Blog Corner of the website.

There have been 17 comments so far on a commentary posted by Mike Needs--the most in this blog's history. Thanks, Mike.

For our comment on all of this, check the commentary page on our website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just a Beacon Journal reader with a question: Don't the Beacon Journal's writers have to sign non-compete agreements? This is fundamental business. This is fundamental business sense. It's why Terry Pluto had to temporarily leave town in 1984. It's why Roger Brown couldn't simply accept a buyout and immediately go work at another local paper. Are you telling me the Beacon Journal's writers don't have non-compete agreements? If indeed this is the case, I find it to be astonishing.

Harry Liggett said...

Here's an answer to the question from a Newspaper Guild source:

I’ve never know that to be policy here at the BJ for reporters. I know as a photographer I did not sign anything to that effect. Regina Bret and others in the past must not have either. I know that it is standard practice for TV talent to do so. I don’t believe the PD reporters sign anything either. Roger Brown took a buyout. He may have been still being paid by the PD for a few weeks but I do believe he could go to another local paper. I think the only thing stopping that is no other local papers are hiring.