Friday, January 19, 2007

Reminiscing by Craig Wilson

I spent the first 18 months of my career as a reporter in the Ravenna office- what seemed like a retired chicken coup- dressed informally.

When I came to Akron I moved into the YMCA. Saturday was to be my day off. I had never worked in a big city newspaper before so I went in that first Saturday in spring of 1953 to work gratis and introduce myself to Frances Murphey and Betty Long on the state desk rim. (Dressed casually) I wasn't there 15 minutes when I was informed Mr. Maidenburg required a tie on all men reporters. I was embarassed like a kid sent home from school. I returned to the YMCA to get a tie. Later, for using a speed graphic, I bought a clip on bow tie and started using it every day.

One day I had to make a picture of a lady at her home. She seemed apprehensive but finally let me in and I got my picture. Then at a pit stop, I saw that one half of my bow tie had come undone and was hanging down and the other half was intact. I threw that tie out and from then on used a conventional regular tie.

~~By Craig Wilson

No comments: