Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hunter explains photo, Maidenburg memo

Here's a note from retired BJ chief photographer Bill Hunter:

An explanation about the Maidenburg note. It was response to a picture I sent him from one of the Bud Morris picnics, a group shot of the then current and former BJ newsroom types. I had tried to get him to attend. I think he really wanted to, but he was a proud man, and didn't want people seeing him with the canes.

[See the Jan 10 post about the BJ retirees luncheon which shows a newsroom photo from the mid-1950s and has a link to Maidenburg's memo.]

We had two of those picnics, first one in [August] 1982. It was so successful that everybody clamored for another one, which we did in 1985. It was for people that had worked there prior to 1970. It was Polly, Murphey, Bud and I that put them together, both held at Bud's place on Medina Line Rd. People came from all over the country. I think pictures from both picnics have already appeared in the blog, along with idents supplied by Craig Wilson. It was one of those
pictures that I had sent to Ben.

[There are posts about the 1983 picnic in the February 2005 archives on Feb 12, 18 and 23]

The group shot in the newsroom was taken sometime in the early to mid 1950's. That's Carl Dangel on the extreme left in the photo, I think he started at the BJ about the same time that I did, which would make it sometime shortly after 1952. There are 43 people in the picture, and I am able to name all but about four or five. Some have their faces blocked, have no idea who they are. A couple are very recognizable, but I have no idea who they are.

I'm hoping Art Cullison may be able to help. That one young girl in the white blouse is somebody I dated for a while, but I'm damned if I can remember her name. It may come to me. I'll try to get together with Art, and maybe between the two of us, we'll be able to get idents for everybody.

I've got phone directories from lates 60's through 93-94, when I retired. I also have copies of Guild contracts from the same times. Sort of interesting to see what pay scales were.

No comments: