Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Challenging prescription changes

Retired printer Bob Abbott is hoping to challenge the change in health benefits for Beacon Journal retirees. Here's Bob's plea:

What I would like to do is find out if the other unions involved in this latest prescription card mess have agreements that are similar to the Typographical Union's. I suspect that they are but I have no way of finding out. What would be best if somebody (anybody) in the other crafts (Guild, Paperhandlers, Pressmen) would find out who is affected and if the agreements are similar.

Ultimately I'm hoping to be able to get together a slush fund of sorts to be able to have a lawyer go forward and challenge the company's position. I can't afford to do this by myself. There are at least several directions to go, according to counsel.

Without anybody making a commitment, if we can get enough people together we might be able at a cost of maybe $50 each or even less, to at least check this out. The putting together of this approach won't be easy to make sure everything is above board and transparent. But...what choice do we have other than rolling over and taking this crap.

So I guess I'm asking to send up a trial balloon to see if anybody is willing to start something like this. If there are enough people interested we can start organizing the process to proceed. While this will be time consuming initially we have to start somewhere, sometime. Feel free to give out my e-mail address and advise them to put in the subject line BJ Prescriptions so I won't dump their contact as spam.

Pleass send e-mail to Bob Abbott rabbott@mindspring.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob -- I tried to respond to your email address but received the message
that since I wasn't an approved person I couldn't get through without
completing a form.

Anyway, Dave and I would be very interested in any action that is taken in
blocking this change.

Thanks!

Gina White