Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Recovering from knee surgery

I am recovering from my knee surgery remarkably well. My meniscus was torn (it's a shim between knee parts) so Dr. Acus trimmed off the smaller portion to where it tore loose and saved the rest for my knee to use.

I'm amazed at how quickly I have recovered from the Jan. 3 surgery (I had Dr. Acus wait from August to Jan. 3 because the Mountaineers played football till the Jan. 2 Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia and I wasn't about to miss Mountaineer Field games for something like knee surgery; I finished watching the Sugar Bowl on TV & listening to the lockerroom interviews at 2 a.m. and got up at 5 a.m. to go to my surgery). I started driving 5 days after the surgery.

It doesn't feel much worse after the surgery than it did before the surgery.

Dr. Acus -- 437 Portage Trail in Cuyahoga Falls -- told me on my Jan. 11 follow-up visit that everything went so well that I will not need rehab, just be sure to flex the knee regularly. The knee is sore, but I expect to be back to normal in another week or so.

John Olesky

No comments: