Thursday, August 26, 2004

She's not Dr. Geewax yet

I'm not Dr. Geewax yet, but I recently nailed down a master's degree!

In winter 2000, I began taking evening classes at Georgetown University through the Liberal Studies Department, specializing international economic affairs. On May 22, 2004 they handed me the sheepskin.

My studies took me to Europe twice to learn more about trade and globalization. I chose classes that would help me here in the Cox Washington bureau, where I am the national economics reporter.

Here's a quick recap of my professional adventures since leaving Akron in 1985:

I moved to Atlanta to work as a business reporter for the Journal-Constitution, the flagship paper for Cox Newspapers. In 1989, I joined the editorial board, where I wrote daily editorials and a weekly
column (which the ABJ's op-ed page often ran).

In 1994-95, I took a break to enjoy -- and I do mean ENJOY -- a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard.

In 1999, I was offered a job in the Cox Washington Bureau. It's a hoot up here -- I cover public-policy issues related to business. So I race around from Capitol Hill to the White House to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, etc. , writing about taxes, trade, wages, deficits and
regulation. (I often interact with former ABJer Mark Braykovich, who is biz editor for the Journal-Constitution).

Most of my stories get posted at:
http://coxnews.com/cox/news//static/cwb/Marilyn_Geewax.html

Each fall semester, I also work as an adjunct professor at George Washington University, teaching business journalism. I'll have 17 students this year (which is at least seven too many for a writing class). I also serve on Kent State University's journalism school advisory board. Last
year, I hosted a KSU j-board meeting here in our bureau office. (I went to OSU, but the journalism program there isn't as interesting as KSU's).

My parents are alive and well in Campbell, Ohio, (on the east side of Youngstown) and my younger brother and his wife live in northern Summit County (in Reminderville), so I get back to NE Ohio several times a year. Whenever I'm at my brother's house, I get a copy of the BJ and keep up with
the Akron news via Harry's emails and blog.

As we business writers and former Ohioans always say: Go Bucks!

-- Marilyn Geewax (ABJ 1978-85) E-mail: mgeewax@coxnews.com
Click on the headline to read Marilyn Geewax's stories.

No comments: