Thursday, August 12, 2004

John Olesky on Fripp Island

From John Olesky:
Since my wife Monnie's death in February my three children have been "babysitting" their Dad.
I spent a week June 27-July 3 on Fripp Island, SC, off Beaufort, walking the beach, playing beach bocce (not as easy as you think on a slanted beach with 20-foot breaks on a rolling bocce ball), crabbing (no, not the kind I did at the BJ) and enjoying my older daughter's family from Aurora. We had to get past the armed guard (honest!) at the gated island. I guess so that teenagers couldn't prowl the beaches without being in an owner's or renter's family.
I spent Aug. 1-3 in Niagara Falls with my younger daughter's family from Brunswick. We rode the Maid of the Mist and got blown away, literally, by the wind and water near the base of the falls.
Then came Aug. 8-10 on Michigan's Grand Lake, a 5,600-acre lake which is smaller than the pond 2 miles away, Lake Huron. I went with my older daughter from Aurora to visit a friend from Monongah, WV, since first grade through first year of college. There was golf and climbing two lighthouses only a few dozen feet from Lake Huron. And we got to see my friend's three granddaughters, all adopted by his son and son's wife, the oldest 3 1/2 years old and all birth sisters.
And my son used my time away from the house to upgrade my computer to XP and to install a combination VCR/DVD that will let me convert hours and hours of family videotape (nearly two decades' worth) onto DVDs of each of our seven grandchildren for permanent recollections of the young 'uns. I'll also put together a DVD of my wife, Monnie, who died in February.
Next comes West Virginia University football, with the Mountaineers' season beginning Sept. 4. Monnie made me promise to take each of our grandchildren to a game, and sit in her seat. I'll be doing that for six Mountaineer Field games and a Thanksgiving night away game at Pitt.
That's my traveling. I'm sure there's been a lot of traveling by others. I'd like to hear about them. Just contact Harry at hliggett@ald.net
John Olesky

No comments: