Thursday, January 18, 2024

DAWIDZIAK UP FOR ANOTHER AWARD FOR HIS BOOK ON EDGAR ALLAN POE

 


                          MARK DAWIDZIAK WITH PHOTO OF EDGAR ALLAN POE IN BACKGROUND


Dawidziak nominated for Edgar Award

 

 

Mark Dawidziak, BJ entertainment critic under my “leadership” when I was Television Editor on the BJ Features desk,

has been nominated for an Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America for his book, “A Mystery of Mysteries: The Death and Life of Edgar Allan Poe." Published by Macmillan Publishing – St. Martin’s Press.

 

Mark posted:

 

“Honored and a bit awed to be in the company of some terrific writers in the Best Biographical/Critical category”

 

Mark did some of his most eloquent writing in his email to me after My Mona Lisa, my wife and Cinderella (West Virginia) treasure, passed away in 2014”

 

“My point is the one you make so eloquently, and

that's to cherish the people you love for every second that you have

them.

 

“It's not a long ride for any of us, really, but I do know how lucky I am to have had a Sara in my life, just as I know how much you cherish Monia's presence in yours.

 

“Monia is indeed one remarkable woman. She is a mighty soul magnified

by the love of her husband, children and grandchildren.

 

“And I can't say I'm at all surprised by your praise of LaQuita (my daughter, an amazing teacher in Aurora Ohio schools till she retired). She is an Olesky, after all, part you and part Monia -- a superior being if

there ever was one.”

 

If I were choosing the Edgar Award winner it would be Mark – and my Mona Lisa awaiting me under a grave marker with both our names on it – would agree wholeheartedly with me.

 

Mark by word. Whether it’s Poe, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens our Dawidziak is top of the mark.

 

Mark also authored a book about “Columbo” with its star, Peter Falk, who phoned the BJ TV desk once when Mark was away, seeking to talk to Mark.

 

I told Falk that Mark was out of the office and that I would give him the message. Before Falk hung up, I said: “One more thing,” which of course is the besheveled dressed Columbo’s line in every episode before he nails the criminal.

 

Falk laughed heartily, even though’s he heard it a zillion times. Just proved again that he’s a good actor.


No comments: