Tuesday, February 16, 2021

WANT TO POST AN ARTICLE ON BJ ALUMS BLOG? IF YOU WORKED AT BJ, HERE'S HOW

 

Want to post an article on BJ Alums blog?

IF you worked at the BJ, here’s how

When you look at the bottom of articles in the BJ Alums blog you see

No Messages

That doesn’t mean you can NOT post. It means zero messages. It’s a body count. I can’t change the terminology. Blogspot company puts that terminology in every blog it controls in America.

I would prefer that it read

Click Here to Post Message

If anyone does get a message posted then it would change to

1 Message

Etc.

If anyone who worked at the BJ clicks on No Messages and posts a message I will approve it and it will show up on the blog. I set up the approval-required system to keep troublemaker non-BJ people from invading the blog with nasty posts.

Now, about YOU posting articles on the BJ Alums blog IF you have worked at the BJ:

Put your byline atop the article in this style:

BY JOHN OLESKY, Newsroom retiree (1969-96)

Once I verify that you did work at the BJ, with the help of Mike Williams and Ken Krause who have records that enable us to do that, then your article will be posted verbatim. The only changes I will make is to put the text in the Arial Black 18-point font style and color (Beacon blue) and correct spelling, punctuation and grammar (43 years as a newspaper editor won’t let me allow that to pass).

You can even write your own headline for the article. I will convert it into Arial Black 36 point in Beacon blue but the words will be as you wrote them.

Once you have written your article, with your byline and the BJ department where you worked at the top, email it to me at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com I’ll convert it to BJ Alums font and color style and post it for you after Mike, Ken and I have confirmed that you did work at the BJ.

Have at it! Sorry for the confusion.

My thanks to Roger Mezger for pointing out that BJ folks thought they couldn’t post on the BJ Alums blog. That was neither my desire nor my intention. We’re all in this together.

Happy typing to you!

JOHN OLESKY, BJ newsroom retiree (1969-96)

My 26 years at the BJ, with John Knight, Ben Maidenburg and Pat Englehart as my shepherds, were the most glorious years in my 43-year newspaper career after my graduation from West Virginia University School of Journalism. The newspapers I worked on were the Morgantown (WV) Dominion-Post (40-hour work week while taking 19 credit hours at WVU; didn’t sleep much, except in class); Williamson (WV) Daily News as sports editor; Glenville (Montana) Daily Ranger for 6 weeks when my wife and I eloped and headed West; Charleston (WV) Daily Mail as a sportswriter; Dayton (OH) Daily News as a sportswriter; St. Petersburg (Florida) Times as a sports department editor and makeup man. And then running to work because I enjoyed it so much for 26 years at the Beacon Journal!

 

 

 

No comments: