Saturday, December 08, 2018

A target in a scary way

We live in a world where journalists have to worry far more about being physically attacked for doing their jobs.

President Trump’s labeling the media “the enemy of the people” has unleashed those who would do physical harm.

People have always gotten angry at what they read if it didn’t match their opinion. But they resorted to writing a letter to the editor or muttering under their breath.

Now they take a gun into a Maryland newsroom.


 
As a side note:
 
I've told this story before, but Bill Hershey was covering roving United Mine Workers pickets at non-union mine sites. He was discussing his findings so far when he said, "I have to hang up."
 
Later, he called back. "A (union miner) guy pulled a gun and me and asked me what I was doing," Bill said.
His response: "People are telling lies about you and I'm hear to learn the truth."
The gun-toting union supporter said, "OK, come along with us."
Bill is an excellent writer. That night, he was a quick thinker.
And he got the story to the BJ on deadline from his southern Ohio stopover.

No comments: