Monday, January 24, 2005

Declining service

When I checked my stoop in Cuyahoga Falls at 10 a.m. for my Beacon Journal (hey, not EVERYONE wakes up at the crack of dawn!), it wasn't there. So I called the BJ Circulation folks to get a paper. The response: "Your manager is gone for the day (at 10 a.m.!). We'll give you credit for not getting the paper." Which means I have to go out in the snow and ice to get a BJ, or just not bother.

The BJ has destroyed the Channels that I nourished from Day One (in 1980), made it unwielding in size instead of the handy dimensions of its birth and hide it within the Community section; no longer provides listings from 11:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (when up to 15 percent of BJ readers, according to Northeast Ohio Nielsen ratings, are watching TV); and, worse, eliminated the most popular part of Channels, the movie listings with plotlines so that readers would know beforehand whether they wanted to watch the film.

No wonder newspapers are fighting a losing circulation and revenue battle. They are orchestrating their own disintegration.

Geez, I feel like I'm taking over Tom Moore's job of berating the BJ for going to Hell in a handbasket!

(:o)<><

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

At 2:30 p.m. someone from the BJ called and said they would "try" to get a paper delivered to me. At 3:30 p.m. I got the paper. Apparently my guy was not gone for the day, or else someone else had to clean up his mess.

But I still stand by my the rest of my original rant about the BJ going to Hell in a handbasket.