Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Michelle LeComte dies



Former Gaithersburg, Maryland-based Gazette deputy editor Michelle LeComte, 58, died Tuesday after a three-year battle with cancer. Michelle a few decades ago was enterprise and features editor for the Beacon Journal.

Another former BJ staffer, Georgia MacDonald, former Gazette commentary editor who spent two decades
with Michelle at the now-defunct Journal newspapers in the Greater D.C. area, said: "She was a tough editor but reporters loved her. . . If they cared about journalism, they cared about Michelle." Michelle, who began her Gazette career in 1999, oversaw regional desk reporters in Gaithersburg and Annapolis.

Georgia is married to another former BJ editor, John MacDonald, who worked on the BJ State Desk in the 1970s under its editor, Pat Englehart, before the MacDonalds switched their journalism talents to the D.C. area.

In her "Jane Snow Cooks" book published by the University of Akron Press, Jane's acknowledgements include Michelle for her “patience, encouragement and advice.”

The funeral arrangement was private.

Click on the headline to read the Gaithersburg Gazette article about Michelle's career and death.




Georgia MacDonald emailed a clarification of her years with Michelle:

John,

Just saw the item you wrote up on Michelle LeComte. Need to point out an error in this sentence:

"Another former BJ staffer, Georgia MacDonald, former Gazette commentary editor who spent two decades with Michelle at the now-defunct Journal newspapers in the Greater D.C. area, said:..."

Actually, we had known each other for about 20 years, since we worked together at the Journal newspapers. Neither of us worked for the Journals for two decades. I think I was at the Journals for about 4 years before Michelle took off for Akron.

She later returned to Maryland. By that time I had been at the Gazettes for about 5-6 years. I introduced her to my boss; he was impressed and eventually hired her.

Hope you can make a change in the blog. Do enjoy reading it and keeping up with the comings and goings of folks.

Thanks.

Georgia MacDonald

5 comments:

Mary Beth Breckenridge said...

I had just been thinking of Michelle about a month ago and e-mailed her but never heard back. Now I know why. She was a friend, a mentor and a helluva gal.

Jim Kavanagh, former ABJ copy editor said...

Michelle was at the Beacon in the '90s, not the '80s. Smart, no-BS editor and person who was in but not of management. I'm sorry I didn't know she was sick. Rest well, friend.

Ed Meyer said...

Keith McKnight and I worked with Michelle as our boss when the Quick Response Team was formed in 1996. She was a tremendous editor who was so bright, she would immediately improve your story with a simple change of a word here, or a phrase there. I know Michelle would have greatly appreciated the good stories and laughs that Keith and I shared today after I told him the sad news. Michelle was a great newspaperwoman and a good friend. God bless, and we will miss you, Michelle...

Anonymous said...

Keith McKnight and I worked with Michelle when she was our boss when the Quick Response Team was formed in 1996. She was a tremendous editor, who would improve your story immediately with the simple change of a word here, or a phrase there. And she would always rise to your defense whenever some public official would complain about a story. I know Michelle would have appreciated the good stories and laughs that Keith and I shared today after I told him the sad news. Michelle was a great newspaperwoman and a good friend. God bless, and we will miss you, Michelle...

Derf Backderf said...

I'll add praise from the art department, too.

Michelle was a pleasure to work with. Always prepared, always up to try something new. She was one of the newsroom's biggest eccentrics... and that's saying something!... and I enjoyed her company and her input. I didn't know she was sick. Quite a shock. Rest easy, Michelle.