Monday, August 02, 2010

Janis Froelich has reunion with BJ friends



Former BJ staffer Janis Froelich, author of a book about the 1974 murder of her friend, Linda McLain, ran into former BJ friends at her round of area book-signings. But let her tell it:


For my Ohio book signings, I saw Ott Gangl, the retired photographer, at the Ellet library. Ott graciously supplied me with a few photographs for my book, "My Life Looking Back at a Murder. A Disparate Story About the 57th PGA Championship at Firestone Country Club."

For my Hudson book-signing, I had the strange experience of driving by my family home first and saw it was for sale. As if this wasn't shocking enough, the list price was $299,000. This is an old (1853) farmhouse right off Hudson's downtown Main street. My mother's side lived in this house for something like 70 years. But I believe our family left the residence in the late 1990s.

And the book signing went great. I saw and had lunch with Paula Slimak, a former The Plain Dealer reporter and my Kent State roommate at one time.

The Cleveland book signing? It was a dark and stormy night. Very scary driving up I-77. Not a soul in sight in the neighborhood of Tremont. But I loved this community.

And finally, Kent where I saw Joan Rice and Pat (Ravenscraft) Snyder, two BJ alums as well.

I have been married for 15 years to Ray Bassett, a well-known photographer in St. Petersburg, Florida. He has worked at and then owned Maddock Photography for almost 50 years. That's right, he is ancient -- just like I'm becoming.

Book sales are going good (release date was July 25th). The website at
janisfroelich.com is a wonderful way to get info out there.

It was fun to see my book listed on Amazon UK (hope the Brits like it). I have more book activities in Florida and then on to South Carolina, Ohio and Michigan this fall.

I don't write for newspapers any longer. I did that for 40-plus years and like new experiences. I mostly babysit two granddaughters, Halle, 9, and Clare, 6. Larry Froelich, another BJ Alum, is my ex-husband and the proud grandfather of these two.

Joan Rice looks terrific. And she still drinks Coke.

Thanks John for your interest. I know how well-read the BJ Alums is. You and Harry are doing a great job.

Janis

Janis D. Froelich
Tierra Verde, Fl
Cell (727)458-7177
Fax (727) 323-0850

janisfroelich.com

Click on the headline for the original story about Janis' new book.



After checking this posting for accuracy, Janis emailed some interesting thoughts:

Thanks for your support. It's not easy for me to think, write, talk about this case. But I believe media has done something good in publicizing these domestic violence cases through the years.

I really enjoyed my time in Ohio. It reminded me of how warm and caring my hometown buddies always were.

See, I'm sentimental in my declining years.

Take care.

Janis




After unsuccessfully trying to identify all the people in the photo above, I emailed Janis for help. She named them all:

From left: Joan Rice, Roberta Minges (Shirley's sister), Shirley Wittman (good friend for 50 years), Janis Froelich and Helen Surbey (my sister). Photo by Mitch Karam (Roberta's friend). All live in the Akron area, except me.

No comments: