Monday, December 27, 2004

Protesting benefits cuts by K-R


From Gina White:

I don't know if you all are experiencing the insurance changes proposed by Tony Ridder or not. But Dave is. Anyway, we've talked to an attorney who says anyone who retired with that "coverage shall remain the same for your life" clause in their insurance contract stands a good chance of prevailing against these changes if we all ban together. We've talked to several retirees without much luck. If we don't take a stand now, the next change will probably be no insurance or paying premiums! I was interviewed by a reporter for AARP who feels these changes could be very drastic.

Anyway, this attorney suggests that we write Tony Ridder and Christy Smith (head of KR BRC) a letter stating that we aren't going to accept these changes before January 1, 2005. There address is Knight-Ridder, 50 W. San Fernando St., San Jose, CA 95113-2413.

I've attached the letters that we sent. The attorney asks that we forward copies of our letters to him as the more of us that get together on this the better.

His name is Allen Anderson and he is with Smith & Johnson, Attorneys, P.O.Box 705, Traverse City, MI 49685. The attorney that owns this firm is a friend of Dave's and said he would do this for us.

It's just very upsetting to think about losing the benefits he worked and paid for all those years at the BJ. If any retirees would like to get in touch with Dave his e-mail address is djwhite05@msn.com.

Thanks for your help!

Dave & Gina
djwhite05@msn.com

=======
Send this letter certified mail:

December 18, 2004

Ms. Christy Smith, PHR
Benefits Vendor Manager
Knight-Ridder
50 W. San Fernando St.
San Jose, CA 95113-2413

Dear Ms. Smith:

Please be advised that I have received Tony Ridder’s letter dated September 29, 2004. I have also received and reviewed the proposed changes to my insurance which are to be effective January 1, 2005.

I will not accept any changes to my retirement benefits! I expect the status quo to be maintained and no changes to put into effect on my insurance January 1, 2005.

If you have any questions concerning this matter, please call me at (YOUR PHONE #).

(YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, STATE ZIP)

Cc: Tony Ridder, CEO
Knight-Ridder

Allen Anderson, Attorney
Smith & Johnson, Attorneys
603 Bay Street
Traverse City, MI 49685

========

December 18, 2004

Mr. Tony Ridder, CEO
Knight-Ridder
50 W. San Fernando St.
San Jose, CA 95113-2413

Dear Mr. Ridder:

Please be advised that I have received your letter dated September 29, 2004. I have also received and reviewed the proposed changes to my insurance which are to be effective January 1, 2005.

I will not accept any changes to my retirement benefits! I expect the status quo to be maintained and no changes to put into effect on my insurance January 1, 2005.

If you have any questions concerning this matter, please call me at (YOUR PHONE NUMBER).

(YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, STATE ZIP)

Cc: Christy A. Smith, PHR
Benefits Vendor Manager
Knight-Ridder

Allen Anderson, Attorney
Smith & Johnson, Attorneys
603 Bay Street
Traverse City, MI 49685


No comments: