Sunday, October 11, 2020

45th wedding anniversary for Jeff Sallot

Click on the montage to enlarge it.

Former BJ reporter Jeff Sallot and Rosemarie Boyle celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary today.

Jeff posted:

“Today is our 45th wedding anniversary. So much joy and happiness over the years. Jeff and Rosemarie.”

Previously, Kent State graduate Jeff, who had a major role in the BJ’s Pulitzer-winning coverage of the 1970 National Guard shooting of 4 Kent State students and wounding of 9 others as a BJ summer intern and campus stringer for the Beacon, told me:

“My marriage with Rosemarie is the most important thing that has happened to me. We live in Ottawa, Rosemarie's hometown, and have two wonderful grown children. Mike, our eldest, is two hours away in Montreal. Kate lives here in Ottawa.

“My son from my first marriage, Ken, is happily married to a wonderful woman. They live in Gainesville, Florida.

“I joined the reporting staff at The Toronto Star after leaving the Beacon Journal in June 1971. I was transferred to their Parliamentary bureau in Ottawa in 1972.

“I met Rosemarie at the Star. She's a journalist, too.

“By 1974 Rosemarie and I were both back in Toronto, working for The Globe and Mail, a remarkable national newspaper. I stayed at the Globe for 32 years.

“Most of those years were in foreign or national bureaus. At various times I was the bureau chief in Moscow, Ottawa and Edmonton. I figured once that I have covered stories in more than 30 countries and every province and territory in Canada.

“There were a couple of timeouts from daily journalism to do fellowships at the Canadian Centre for Arms Control and, in China and Japan, with the Asia Pacific Foundation.


“I retired from the Globe to join the faculty at the Carleton University School of Journalism and Communication. I teach multimedia reporting.” Carleton is in Ottawa.

 

It was Jeff who confirmed that only students were shot, and not National Guardsmen as other media incorrectly reported. The BJ went with Jeff’s version. Eventually, so did all of the media in America.

 

No comments: