Thursday, February 14, 2013

Complications delay John Dunphy's chemo


Here are Facebook updates by former BJ reporter and Orange County Register retiree John Dunphy and Orange County Register deputy Features editor Rebecca Allen, who live in Lakewood, California. John is undergoing chemo for his cancer.


Folks, he's developed a serious allergy to one of his meds. Whole body rash. Sores on his tongue and mouth. The doc has stopped Afinator and has him on IV fluids to flush it out. 

He's seriously miserable. Can't eat much of anything.

Prayers and positive thoughts welcome. Good news followed by bad -- I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. Doc is looking to get a smaller dose next week.
Rebecca Allen, John Dunphy


Dr. Lipham did an endoscopy and a biopsy today. They give me some kind of mind-altering drug that makes it so I don't care if they stick a camera down my throat. And I sleep most of the day away. He starts by saying "Well, let's get you drunk!" He was pleased with the result.

He told Rebecca Allen, because I don't remember a thing, that the tumor is measurably smaller. Absent would be better, but that's very rare. 

We need to finish chemo (which is complicated because I've developed an angry rash and mouth sores that they need to resolve before we can continue.)

So part of my chemo may be delayed a bit, and I have to go in for the next three days for IV fluids and mouth meds.

That messes with my golf schedule! But I'm staying on top of it. The good news is that the scope showed that the outcome of the surgery in late March or early April will be good.

No comments: