Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Details on Cathy Strong's new job


Former Beacon Journal State Desk reporter Cathy Strong provides details about her new job in New Zealand, where she lived and worked for decades before moving to Dubai, United Arab Emirate, three years ago.

Cathy's email:

I have accepted a position on the faculty of the Wellington Journalism School, which is within Massey University. I will be helping them develop a new Masters Degree in Journalism. I'm really energized about doing that.

The campus is in Wellington, the capital city, so the students have access to all the political hubs. Also the main media outlets there are very helpful to the students.

Hopefully the Masters Degree will be ready to take students by 2013. In the meantime I'll also be teaching in the undergraduate courses. I'll be bringing my converged media skills and also now more Middle East political outlook.

I'm really miss Dubai. The country is so dynamic, yet safe at the same time. Mostly, however, I'll miss my students. The female Emiratis are just lovely. I enjoy teaching them so much. Most of them will never be journalists, mainly because of the stigma from their families, but hopefully the skills I am teaching them now will be used sometime in the future. I'm also really hoping that perhaps a few of them will come to New Zealand for their Masters and study with me again.

Love hearing from you, John, and Paula,

Cathy

On her Facebook page, Cathy added:

I start July 1. I may have only one day between leaving the job at Zayed University and taking up the new one in New Zealand/ zzzzzzz

No comments: