Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tom Moore gets pacemaker

I got this email from Tom Moore in response to my request for more information on his brief, earlier email:

I was scheduled to get a pacemaker next Thursday, so Monday I went in for preliminary tests. My heart rate was so low that they wouldn't send me home. Instead the doctor sent me to the Emergency Room.

Tuesday morning I had emergency surgery to put in the pacemaker. I got home about 10 a.m. today (Wednesday). My heart rate was down to 20 and that just ain't exactly good.

This is the second time that I've gone in for tests at the hospital and was surprised. When I had my quadruple bypass six years ago, I was in only for a stress test. Or so I thought.

But at least both times the doctors came through and probably saved me a lot of pain -- or even worse.

-- Tom Moore

Editor's note: For those who don't know, the pacemaker shoots electrical impulses to the heart when the body doesn't do that job properly. It keeps your ticker ticking. And that's a very good thing.

No comments: