Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Reporter gives up politics for food

Lisa Abraham will replace Jane Snow.

In her first Food section front column, Abraham says covering government prepared her for new role. But she never really says how.

Her personal collection, however, contains the recipe for hamloaf that Nancy Petro used to woo her husband, Ohio Attorney General Jim Petro.

‘’Writing about government and politics has been my job for more than 20 years. Food has been my passion.” Lisa writes. “For me, the chance to turn my passion into my career is one of those heady, once-in-a-lifetime-did-I-just-win-the-lottery experiences.

“Most of all, I feel so privileged to be given the opportunity.

“Look for me to get cooking shortly after the first of the year. And tie on your aprons,
Akron, because cooking, like politics, can be sticky business.”

Click on the headline to read Lisa’s nice column.

Blogger addend: Perhaps to be politically correct, Lisa refers to herself as food writer. When Food editor Jane Snow left the Beacon Journal, she reported (Oct 29) that there would be an open house with her the following month to introduce the new food editor. She also said she
would continue to write her BJ e-mail newsletter, Second Helpings. Is anyone getting it? Neither Snow nor Mickey Porter left the BJ happily.

2 comments:

Eric Poston said...

I get the email Second Helpings every week. I put them on my site for others to read

www.freewebs.com/ericposton

Living Page

Anonymous said...

Following Jane Snow as the BJ food writer is like following Bear Bryant as the Alabama football coach: No matter what you do, the chances are slim that you can match what the legend has done. Jane won many national awards for a good reason: She is a superb food writer. But quality writing and experience has taken a back seat to profits at today's BJ.
--John Olesky